Rot, cracks, holes and other forms of damage can turn out to be a very big problem on any wooden project, walls, furniture as well as on decking and making use of a good wood filler is one of the best ways to deal with such problem.
Today we would be focusing on finding the best wood filler for hardwood floors as there are lots of wood fillers available on the market and also understanding how it works so finding one for you won’t be so hard as people think it is.
Best Wood Filler For Hardwood Floors – Buying Guide And Reviews
The major question is; How do you know the best wood filler for the problem you are trying to fix?
Below we have put together the best wood filler for hardwood floors and also tell you about its features and why we think it has what it takes to be among the best.
Also with the help of our buying guide after this review, you would gain more confidence in which product to buy and also figuring out some factors you need to look out for when shopping for wood fillers.
Best Wood Filler For Hardwood Floors Review
1. Coconix Floor and Furniture Repair Kit
Our best wood filler for hardwood floors review is kicked open using the Coconix floor and furniture repair kit which is one extremely easy filler that can be used in filling up holes, cracks, chips, knot cover or even screws and that isn’t all of the applications that this wood filler can be used as it is also very useful when getting rid of scratches and also touching up blemishes on floors.
It is regarded as the best wood repair product as it features powerful repair compounds without containing paint, wax, glue and the likes.
When working on surfaces like-colored shelves, desks, deck, baseboard, edging, laminate or even molded surfaces, the Coconix floor and furniture repair kit would deliver an outstanding fix and it also delivers impressive results when used on natural and painted surfaces, oak, maple, mahogany and light surfaces.
This package also comes with easy to understand instructions which guide users in obtaining the best finish.
- Ideal to work on thin and small scratches
- Easy to work with
- Effective in patching up floors
- Sells at a reasonable price
- Not used when working on deeper repairs
2. Carpenter’s Wood Filler, Interior Only
The next product we want to take a look at Elmer’s carpenters wood filler which it is specially formulated for use on interior use and this is the type of wood filler that can be used when working on gouges, scratches, dents, holes, painted, molded, wallboard and also wooden surfaces.
It features a fine texture that spreads easily to fill up pores as well as cracks and customers who have tried out this product believe it is the best as it carries out an amazing filling job.
Going through several comments and remarks online, customers who have tried out Elmer’s carpenter wood filler have been impressed about how easy it is to use and if it happens that this wood filler ends up staining any surface, it can be wiped off easily either by scraping when it is dry or wiping it off from the surface if it is still wet.
Just a little amount of this wood filler is enough to carry out jobs and ensure that tasks get done and it also comes with a lid that prevents this product from drying up inside the container.
- Perfect ease of use
- Formulated to get the job done
- Easy to clean up if it stains a surface
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t spread evenly
- Dries out very fast
3. Elmer’s E861 Carpenter’s Wood Filler
Another product from the ELMER to make it to this review and this should keep you informed on the fact that the ELMER brand is one that is concerned with the manufacture of not just effective products but also products that would meet up with the expectations of customers.
The reason why we love this wood filler is that it is used when dealing with cracking and shrinking and using just water, this wood filler can be wiped off easily if it stains a surface.
Safety is however another attractive feature of this wood filler for hardwood floors by ELMER brand as it doesn’t contain solvent or any other harmful ingredients and this is why it is used for both exterior and interior use.
The Elmer Wood Filler is one that would make sure any wood filling task is made easy and carried out quickly and this is however a product that comes in about six different colors.
These wood fillers can be painted and sanded depending on the users’ choice and it is formulated only for interior uses.
- Simple but effective wood filler
- Goes easily on surfaces
- Poor quality tubes
4. Minwax 236174444 Wood Putty, 1 lb, Walnut
The MINWAX wood putty filler is another high-quality wood filler product which has also gotten some accolades based on its impressive wood filling performance and whether you are working on finished, stained, painted or bare surfaces, the MINWAX wood putty wood filler product guarantees covering up imperfections like nail covers and holes.
Unlike some wood filler products on the market, the MINWAX wood putty wood filler does not require sanding and it is easy to use as it doesn’t need any extra knowledge before making use of it.
Here is something that you should know about this wood filler product and that is it is pre-mixed putty which helps in matching certain wood finishes. Whether you are dealing with nail holes, gouges or minor scratches, be rest assured that this wood filler from MINWAX would handle various tasks thrown at it.
It also comes in various colors so users can select that color that suits them while its nonhardening design is also another interesting feature to look out for.
- Simple to work with
- Doesn’t irritate
- Perfect for covering up holes and cracks on floors
- Lacks structural strength and not ideal for covering up surfaces according to some remarks
5. Water-Based Wood & Grain Filler (Trowel Ready) – Walnut
If you are looking for the best wood filler for hardwood floors product that would not only save time when working but would also offer an impressive filling performance then the GOODFILLA water-based wood and grain filler product is simply one product that should not be overlooked as it is composed to withstand cracking, sinking and shrinking.
Just one application of this product is enough to produce desired results and it can be mixed either with dye, stain, tint or any other pigment.
It is the best and preferred choice for professional woodworkers but if you are a do it yourself kind of worker then this is also a good option for you too.
What we love about this product is its ease of use and guess what, it also has better coverage than most wood fillers on the market thanks to its professional formulation which ensures it holds onto the water for a long period of time. It is also formulated to retain its consistency regardless of ambient temperatures.
- Has a dense nature which ensures the better sand ability
- Doesn’t gum or crack
- Has a strange odor
6. DAP 00585 Latex 6oz, White All-Purpose Plastic Wood Filler
The DAP 00585 latex all-white plastic wood filler is one that features the right kind of ingredient that ensures it delivers high and outstanding performance and guesses what, this wood filler is a solvent-based type that works by hardening in order to provide a repair which is three times stronger to the wood it is working on.
This is a heavy-duty and professional-grade wood filler that has real wood fiber in it so as to make sure it acts and has the appearance of real wood.
Now, unlike some low-quality wood filler for hardwood floors that we encountered while carrying out our research, we realized that the DAP all-white plastic wood filler dries hard and fast and it is also resistant to cracks and shrinks.
It is also capable of providing superior screw and nail anchoring without causing any split and lastly, this wood filler can be lacquered, painted, varnished, planed, screwed, stained and drilled.
- Comes with instructions that would guide users on how to use
- This substance provides adequate strength
- Impressive overall quality
- Provides great result
- No difficulty during use
- Contain ingredients that cause cancer
7. DAP 584 Series 00584 6oz Walnut Latex Plastic Wood
The DAP brand is popping up again on this list and what does that tell you? It simply means that this brand specializes in the production of premium and trustworthy products that users would be pleased with.
This product here is the DAP 584 Series 00584 Walnut Latex Plastic Wood Filler which can be used when dealing with holes, gouges, cracks and some other defects caused by humans either on cabinets, moldings, plywood, woodwork, furniture, doors, windows as well as some painted surfaces.
There are so many interesting features about this wood filler as it can be easily cleaned up using water, is very easy to make use of when working, has minimal odor and it is also formulated in a way that it doesn’t just look like real wood but it also acts like real wood.
Users would be very impressed with this wood filler as it is highly resistant to cracks and shrinks and it is also useful in the anchoring of strong nails and screws.
- Sands evenly
- Can be used by amateurs and professionals
- Not difficult to work with
- Some customers complained about this product being a water-based product and not solvent-based
8. Timbermate Maple/Beech/Pine Hardwood Wood Filler
This is a water-based, quick-drying and unique wood filler that is capable of being tinted and stains beautifully. Applying this wood filler or working with it is one easy process that can never go bad and guess what, if it happens that it stains any surface, it can be wiped off with ease.
Its application process is also a simplified process that doesn’t allow for any difficulty and working with this wood filler guarantees no falling out, cracking or shrinking.
The main thing about this product is until the application is done on any surface, this wood filler would not be permanent and if you find yourself in a situation where you are not pleased with how the result looks, you can easily wipe off and apply again.
This is why this product is considered to be among the best wood fillers we have available today and based on manufacturers’ instructions, it is important that only plastic and stainless steel tools are used for the application.
- It can be easily removed even if it dries out
- When compared to other brands, this product is easier to apply
- Works very well
- None that we know of
9. PC Products PC-Woody Wood Repair Epoxy Paste
The PC Products PC Woody Wood product is an effective and durable wood filler that is best used in so many situations and this is because it is designed to offer excellent performance when dealing with several challenging and tough wood problems.
Whether it is for outdoor or indoor use, there is simply nothing to worry about as this wood filler would survive under any environment be it harsh or mild and this owes to the fact that it features an outstanding temperature range service.
Being resistant to shrinking and cracking are some other important features of this wood filler and what’s more, it is also designed to be resistant to sunlight as well as withstanding damage from salt and freshwater.
When it encounters attack from a woodpecker, squirrels, insects as well as other animals capable of causing damage, this wood filler is designed to be tough to survive such attacks. It is perfect for vertical applications as it would not drip when drying off.
- Made out of real wood
- Features a longer working time
- Effective and tough
- Users need to wait for long hours before sanding
10. Abatron WoodEpox Epoxy Wood Replacement Compound
The Abatron Wood Epoxy is the last product to make it to our best wood filler for hardwood floors review and this compound right here is a well respected and impressive wood filler option that is designed to provide a final surface that is tough.
This product right here might be on the pricey side but when it comes to filling up larger cracks quickly, it is simply the product most woodworkers run to. Molding and sculpting this wood filler is quite easy and for a fast repair, it dries off quickly in less than an hour.
It comes in a dual container that has to be mixed together and this is, however, a complete package that comes with all necessary items such as plastic gloves, putty knife, applicator bottle and an easy to understand instructional manual, therefore, making this wood filler the best option to settle for.
- This is a shrink free wood filler
- Painting and sanding is quite easy using this product
- Works great when restoring wood that’s already rotten
- Mix the two products is also difficult
Best Wood Filler Buying Guide
The various wood filler products are all made from separate materials and as such, they have different disadvantages, advantages and properties. Figuring out the type of filler that you want and that which would be okay for your needs is one of the best ways to find the best wood filler for you.
Cellulose-based wood fillers are quite common as they come in form of powders and pastes, they have a longer shelf life and are also less expensive. They are quite easy to apply on surfaces that take colors and stains.
The latex and vinyl wood filler are the ones that are easy to mold, shape and are also user friendly but tend to crack with ease when applied on a layer that is very thick.
They do not stain easily and are built to be weatherproof and that is why they are more reliable outdoors than cellulose-based wood fillers.
How To Make Use Of A Wood Filler
Following easy guidelines, wood fillers are very easy to use as well as it is prepared appropriately and all there is to do is first, sand the surface that you want to work on so as to prepare its surface for bonding.
The filler can now be applied using a putty knife with less pressure so it should be able to find its way into gaps and cracks gently. The filler should be given enough time to dry up even if the product description claims it has a fast drying time and after drying up, sanding the surface is required to ensure that the surface is smooth.
The fact still remains that any wood filler type would be able to fill cracks and gaps on wooden surfaces and there are wood fillers that can be used when dealing with or carrying out repairs on other surface types.
You can never go wrong with the best wood filler for hardwood floors that we have rounded up just for you so just go ahead and make a choice. You can also read up these reviews below and who knows, you just might find valuable information.
Take a look at these products also:
- This furniture repair kit contains 12 wood fillers and 1 brush.
- 12 unique colors - White, Ivory, Warm White, White Maple, White Oak, Yellow Maple, Oak, Bamboo Yellow, Beech, Red Cherry, Gray, Black. And you can mix color to match the colors of your hardwood...
- Easy to apply - squeeze repair filler into the repair area, and then smooth the surface with scraper. Or you can use the brush for detail toucu up.
- Great ideal for wood scratch repair: suitable for cover surface scratch for wood veneer, desk furniture, wood floors, trim, cabinets, tables, beds, frames, doors and many more.
- Restore all kinds of damages such as chips, cracks, dents, holes, pet marks, and scruffs. You can repairfurniture by yourself, do not need ask experience profesional to retouch your scratched...
- Non-toxic powder that can be mixed with water and/or any WB pigment, dye, stain, clear finish, or paint
- Accepts stain and finish just like wood
- Multiple applications: Patching, grain-filling, and even inlay
- Environmentally friendly, non-toxic, zero VOCs, biodegradable
- Does not shrink, sink, crack, or fall out
- Color matched with wood finish
- Use with high speed sanders
- Paintable and stainable
- Easy water cleanup, solvent free
- This is an aftermarket of generic part
- J-B WELD KWIKWOOD: A hand mixable two part epoxy putty stick that is formulated to repair and rebuild wood. J-B Weld KwikWood is designed for all wood household DIY repairs!
- CURE AND SET TIME: After kneading the two part formula together by hand, KwikWood takes 15-25 minutes to set and cures in 1 hour. J-B Weld KwikWood set and cure color is a light tan.
- PRODUCT FEATURES AND STRENGTH: J-B Weld KwikWood has lap shear strength of 900 PSI. KwikWood will not shrink or rot and can be stained, molded, tapped, drilled, sanded and shaped.
- APPLICATIONS: Window/Door Hinge Repairs, Dry Rot Repairs, Gouges and cracks in furniture, knot hole repairs, gap fillers and more!
- DO IT YOURSELF: Big or small, you can DIY it with J-B Weld. Our heavy duty epoxy and adhesives repair & restore it right the first time. J-B Weld delivers superior performance, quality, and results...
- ONE-STOP FIX – Katzco 25 piece wood filler set includes 12 unique colors of Resin Repair Compound, 12 brushes, and 1 Plastic Scraper nicely packed in a convenient box to stay organized. Retouch...
- UNIQUE SHADES FOR A PERFECT BLEND – Comes with 12 distinctive colors: Black, Gray, Silver Gray, White, Ivory, Wood White, Mahogany, Maple, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Gold. Choose the one that matches the...
- TOP-RATED QUALITY – Katzco Wood Fillers contain a special carpenter quality stain to match wood finishes. Excellently restores nicks, scuffs, and discoloration on floors and furniture like cabinets,...
- CONCEALS IMPERFECTIONS LIKE MAGIC – Pack your custom-made wood filler into the hole or crack. Then smooth with the provided scraper. Finally, remove excess paint and let dry.
- WIDE APPLICATION – Not only applicable on home wood surfaces but also perfect for the office. Wood finish fillers are also ideal for small hobbies and woodcraft projects, and to add decorative...