If you have some serious projects to finish, or some DIYs, apart from all the necessary tools you need a high-quality workbench. Workbenches are useful and amazing assistants. Portable workbenches are extremely light and can be easily carried around, but they are capable of holding up to 1000 pounds. Clamping systems are extremely useful when you work with pipes and materials that need to be fixed in place.
Our Top Picks for 2021
Let’s check our seven top picks on our list, and try to find the most suitable workbench for you!
1. BLACK+DECKER Workmate Portable Workbench
This amazing portable workbench weighs only 15 pounds but holds 350-pounds on its work surface. Steel tube construction guarantees durability. You can move it around effortlessly and you get a sturdy surface to work on. You can open and close the Workmate with the dual clamp cranks which offer increased clamping force and versatility. It folds flat for easy storage. The rubber non-skid-feet prevent the unit from sliding around as you perform your tasks.
Jaws resist swelling and warping over time. The workmate 125 includes swivel pegs and integral retention grooves in jaws for versatility and holding reliability when clamping a variety of materials. Note the specifications: Bench Height – 29-3/4; Parallel Clamping – 4-5/8; Diagonal Clamping – 24; Parallel Peg Clamping – 10-3/4; Diagonal Peg Clamping – 22-3/8; Work Surface – 9x 24; This workbench screams efficiency.
2. Keter – Folding Table Work Bench for Miter Saw Stand
Next on the list is the Folding Work Table by Keter. This folding table provides a sturdy yet portable workspace for a wide variety of projects. From home improvement projects to commercial construction work, this folding workbench helps you get the job done in any type of setting. It’s made of heavy-duty resin with aluminum legs, and weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling, and denting.
When it comes to workspace capacity, we are talking about 1000 lbs. Whether you need a sawhorse for cutting jobs or a place to rest boards for painting, a pair of one-handed clamps hold your project materials securely in place. Count on this folding work table to provide dependable work support for everything from sanding two-by-fours to staining table legs.
Watch the following video for a quick overview of this model:
Try it for one project and the bench will become your go-to source for reliable work support. The dimensions are Standing: 33.46 in. L x 21.65 in. W x 29.75 in. H / Folded: 33.46 in. L x 21.65 in. W x 4.4 in. H
3. WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Work Table and Sawhorse with Quick Clamps and Holding Pegs
The next worktable on the list may be your next purchase. The Pegasus multi-function work table and sawhorse with quick clamps and holding pegs can support up to 300 lbs as a table, and up to 1,000 lbs as a sawhorse. The Pegasus itself is only 25 lbs, so you can fold it up and carry it anywhere, or keep it in one spot. The legs lock into place and are made of tough molded ABS with steel supports. The non-slip feet stay in place and the integrated clamping system exerts up to 300 lbs of force to keep your project firmly in place and has a max clamping width of 18 ¼”.
The clamp dog pegs allow you to secure round and unusually shaped materials. This table is 31” x 25” and is a standard 32” high. It folds down to a depth of only 5”. The folding tray at the base is designed to hold tools, power strips, or anything you need for your project. The Pegasus is tough and solid enough to be a permanent work table or sawhorse but built to be portable.
Read Also: Best Workbenches For Sawing
4. KETER Jobmade Portable Work Bench and Miter Saw Table for Woodworking Tools
When you look at this model, the first thing you notice is its lightweight design. However, the looks can be misleading as this model is extremely durable and can hold up to 1000 pounds. The table has a handle and it’s easy to carry it around. The storage compartment is ideal for keeping your tools and accessories. The Jobmade Table is designed for professionals who want a portable table that can hold heavy loads.
When the project is done, simply fold the table flat, put your tools in the compartment and carry it to your vehicle. It’s made from durable resin, so it’ll never rust, rot, peel, or fade. It comes with four holding clamps to assist with the job. The storage compartment doubles as a tool organizer. It has universal metal T-track rails for 2-inch bar clamps Work with confidence on slippery or uneven surfaces with built-in leg stabilizers. This table has all you need to finish your projects on time!
5. WORX WX066 Sidekick Portable Work Table
Our next pick is a trusted Sidekick. The Sidekick is a portable table that you can take anywhere and use to support the load. It can handle up to 300 lbs, so it holds its own as a worktable in the shop or on projects. It folds together easily and weighs only 13 lbs. It’s great for tailgating, outdoor parties, pretty much anywhere you need a portable table. It’s 36” x 13.5” x 6” when folded for transport and 24” x 24” in table mode. It’s a standard 32” high—that’s the same height as our other Worx support products.
It features 4 Clamp Dogs, which keep materials in place. It’s marked with many common measuring guides. And there are handy accessory trays built right in. The steel metal legs are designed not to slip on hard surfaces or sink into soft ground. When you’re done with work, they quickly collapse, and the table folds right around them like a briefcase that you can carry easily. Storage is not a problem for this model. You can’t go wrong with this portable workstation!
Check out the customer’s review in this video:
6. Performance Tool W54025 Portable Multipurpose Workbench and Vise
The next workbench on our list is Performance Tool by Wilmar Corporation. This excellent workbench offers compact storage and easy mobility due to the folding design. You can carry it effortlessly from place to place. Another advantage is the printed tabletop. It’s printed with a ruler, grip, and protractor for added convenience as you finish your projects.
A one-handed clamp system allows the independent jaw adjustment while jaws resist warping and can be angled to accommodate uniquely shaped materials. This workbench can carry a 200 lb safe working load. We have no doubt that this simple design will aid your work.
Don’t Miss: Best Workbenches For Circular Saw
7. POWERTEC MT4006 Deluxe Bamboo Workbench Top
With this excellent model, you get a portable design with fully adjustable vise panels for project versatility, a built-in storage rack for your tools, and an imprinted metric and protractor scale for optimum accuracy. It features a rugged, heavy-duty steel frame and bamboo worktop, that paired together form a lightweight, yet compact work center that’s built to last and get the job done.
This multi-functional workbench tabletop accommodates a wide variety of woodworking projects, including clamping, painting, cutting, and can be used as a vise tool or sawhorse. Weighing only 11 pounds, this sturdy workbench table can hold a total capacity of 220 lbs of workload. Additional Features: Large Working Surface Adjustable Vise Action Plastic Non-Marring Feet Built-in Tool Storage Compartment Imprinted Metric and Protractor Scale. This workbench is solid and easy to assemble. It just might be your next purchase!
There are two types of portable benches: folding workbenches and rolling workbenches. Folding workbenches are small, collapsible, and lightweight but still sufficient for most common tasks. Rolling workbenches have a sturdy structure of a standard workbench with the bonus of casters attached to the legs or base. These are the features you need to have in mind when buying a workbench:
Steel workbenches are the most enduring and built to hold up to years of heavy use thanks to strong welds and underside reinforcements that provide increased weight capacities.
Plastic workbenches are affordable, lightweight, and non-conductive, so they are perfect for working on electrical appliances. Most of these solid plastic tops have durable laminate coatings for protection. You don’t want indentations on your surface.
Wood workbenches are some of the strongest available and are built to withstand substantial weight, marring, impacts, and heat exposure.
Workbench Size (Height, Width and Weight)
The work surface on most workbenches varies between 33-36 inches high. Adjustable-height workbenches on the other hand can be moved up and down to accommodate people of different sizes, ages, and physical abilities, which makes it simple for different people to work comfortably at the same workbench. Workbenches can start at two feet wide and go all the way up to ten feet, so there’s a wide range to choose from. Make sure to measure your space beforehand to make sure it can accommodate your choice. Most portable workbenches weigh less than 30 pounds, which is a manageable weight for one person. Some workbenches weigh as little as 15 pounds.
Portable workbenches feature wide-set feet with steel or aluminum legs that help provide stability. Look for a portable workbench with feet coated in rubber or some other non-slip material to prevent the bench from sliding.
Most portable workbenches feature integrated clamping systems. The clamps are designed to secure large pieces of metal and wood and allow the user to cut, sand, or fasten materials.
Portable workbenches often include special features that can help significantly with your projects. Some workbenches are designed with molded handles for easier transportation; Some have extra drawers for tool storage, while some even have integrated power strips.
Do I need to assemble my portable workbench?
Most models require minimum to no assembly. There are assembly instructions, that are easy enough to follow. However, once you have attached the legs to the main station, the portable workbench will be ready to use.
Does my portable workbench come with a warranty?
Most mid to high-end portable workbenches will come with some type of warranty (we found that a 2-year warranty is the most common).
What makes a good portable workbench?
A quality portable workbench should be durable and it should have a sturdy base that prevents it from wobbling while you work. It should include clamping features to hold materials in place.
Can the legs be removed?
Yes. The workbench comes in pieces requiring assembly.
What’s the optimal height for a workbench?
Workbench heights can range from 28 inches to 38 inches. To find out the ideal height use the literal rule of thumb – the benchtop should meet the same level as the knuckle in your thumb when standing with your arms hanging at your sides.
How much weight can a portable workbench handle?
Lighter-duty workbenches can handle a weight of around 250 pounds, while a heavy-duty workbench may have a weight capacity as high as 1,000 pounds.
How long does a portable workbench last?
It depends on whether it’s plastic, wooden, or metal. Also, portable workbenches have moveable joints that can get weaker over time. Most portable workbenches should last for years when maintained adequately.
Workbenches improve production and efficiency. They are easily adjustable and they turn any surface into a professional workstation. So, what you should pay attention to when buying a portable workbench? Since it’s portable, it should be lightweight, but durable at the same time. Your workstation should have all the features necessary for a variety of projects. We understand that price is a factor, as well. That is why we included models of different price ranges. No matter what you intend to use it for, we are sure that you will find your perfect portable workbench!
Here are some other interesting options available on today’s market:
- ICONIC WORKMATE PROJECT CENTER - Classic portable folding work table and vise for carpentry, woodworking, DIY projects, automotive work and more
- RUGGED STABILITY - Holds up to 550 lbs with heavy-gauge steel frame and laminated bamboo stalk worktop
- VERSATILE STRENGTH - Adjustable jaws, vertical clamping, and four adjustable swivel pegs for irregularly-shaped objects
- EASY SETUP - Folds open and closed in seconds for easy setup and storage
- MORE WAYS TO WORK - Large working surface with extra block easily converts to vise
- Workbench, scaffold, dolly, creeper - 1 product, 4 tools, unlimited project potential, 4 Disston Drill Bits included
- Practical for professional contractors as well as home users
- 500 lb. Duty rated capacity can accommodate large projects
- Compact, portable and easily stored. Sturdy, durable work surface
- Light weight at only 32lbs
- ULTIMATE WORKSTATION: Whether you’re moving from one worksite to the next, or doing a DIY project in your garage or on your driveway, this portable, folding Centipede tabletop makes it simple to set...
- TOP IT OFF: The CK22T Centipede Tabletop works with all Centipede Stands, as well as the Centipede 2x4” Bracket, Quick Clamp, and Non-Slip accessories. Full dimensions are 24" x 48" (610 mm x 1200...
- WORKBENCH STYLE TOP: The Centipede Workbench Tabletop has ¾ inch dog holes spaced evenly across the surface and is compatible with standard Workbench dog hole accessories.
- EASY TRANSPORT: The tabletop is hinged in the center for easy transport and storage, and has a carrying slot so you can hold it in one hand while keeping your other hand free.
- PACKAGE CONTENTS: Package includes 1 Centipede Tabletop plus 6 quick-twist lock handles. Set up instructions are clearly printed on the box along with images.
- Portable – Take this workbench on wheels anywhere the work is
- Compact – Easily folds in seconds for compact storage and transportation
- Heavy Duty – Made from steel, it has a weight capacity of 350 lbs on the MDF top shelf
- Two Locking Casters – Keep it in place while you work
- Versatile – Great for many types of projects, with ample working space (MDF top is 48" x 23.5")
- 7 different functions including: workbench, saw horse, scaffold, platform, car creeper, dolly and hand truck
- 550lb max capacity in scaffold and platform mode and 330lb max in other modes
- Includes integrated power strip for standard power cords and USB devices
- 4 caster wheels (2 straight, 2 swivel) attach for car creeper, dolly and hand truck modes
- Design features an extending tool tray, hanging hook, push bar, 2 vice pegs, 2 quick clamp connection ports (attach to your quick clamps, not included) and extendable locking legs
- Strong and stable work platform.
- Large work surface. Table size: 1140mmx590mm/ 44"L x 23"W.
- Portable and collapsible for easy storage.
- 250kgs/550lbs loading capacity for scaffold/platform mode; 150kgs/330Lbs for workbench/saw horse/car creeper/dolly/hand truck mode; Adjustable legs from about 20" to 31" high.
- Converts into handy dolly or creeper. An ideal work bench for carpenter, craftsman, DIY lovers.
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
- SOLID-WOOD TOP - Work with confidence on a 1.5" thick solid wood surface finished in UltraDurable polyurethane. Designed for heavy-duty to accommodate power tools, mounts and clamps safely.
- STEEL ORGANIZER DRAWER - Includes 2 adjustable dividers and 7 mounting points - create compartments that fit the way you work.
- HEAVY-DUTY FRAME - Steel frame in a tough graphite finish
- MOBILE WORKSTATION - Four 3" casters with steel hardware, 2 locking
- MULTIPURPOSE USE - This workshop and garage essential workbench is ideal for commercial, home, garage or office use.