Home security has always been important, and perhaps these days more than ever. A good security system can really save you a lot of stress, whether you live in a dangerous neighborhood or you just fear for your safety. Either way, it is better safe than sorry, and a good lock can really make a difference.
Best Picks for 2021
Keypad door locks save you a lot of time and trouble since they are convenient and you do not need to mess with the keys but simply remember a few digits and unlock your front door. If you’re having doubts about what kind of keypad lock to get for your home, read the following text to help you out.
1. Kwikset SmartCode 955 Keypad Electronic Lever Door Lock – Editor’s Choice
A highly effective and safe keypad electronic door lock from Kwikset allows you to generate up to 30 different user codes so that everyone in your family has a unique digit combination, and maybe a few of your closest friends (or even more people, up to 30).
This is a commercial Grade 2 certified lock that provides enough security for your home, as well as your garage or business space. It comes with 3 different locking modes including unlocked mode, auto-lock, and a third, mode called “disable passage mode” that requires you to use your code or a key.
If you leave town for a few days, you have the option of disabling your keypad and accessing the lock with a key only, because codes won’t work. On the other hand, you can also set the lock to stay unlocked and enter your home without a code or a key. There is an option to generate a one-time code for emergencies only.
This lock comes with a 9V battery with a life span of 3 years. It features a reversible lever suitable for left or right-handed doors and a few different designs so you can choose the one that fits your exterior and interior best.
2. Schlage FE595 CAM 626 ACC Camelot Keypad
Schlage brand is known for their security locks, and here we have a model that comes in various color finishes, but that is not the main reason we put it on this list. This is a nine-digit lock with a simple design but a very applicable use. It can “remember” up to 19 six-digit codes that you can effortlessly program, and as a plus, it already has 2 four-digit preset codes – all of which you can easily enter even at night thanks to the keypad that illuminates for your convenience.
Featuring a Flex-lock option, this lock allows you to disable the automatic locking mode simply by flipping the thumb turn to the vertical position from the inside of the house, which can be quite useful if you don’t need your door locked all the time.
This lock features an extremely durable battery that will last a long time and if by any chance you find yourself in a situation that the battery is empty, you can always use a keyed entry mode.
3. Yale Assure Lock with Z-Wave – Smart Touchscreen
Suitable for smart homes, the Yale brand offers a Z-Wave enabled lock that can work with different systems like Alexa, Wink, SmartThings, Honeywell, Ring Alarm, etc. This lock comes with a stylish and elegant design and is fairly easy to install. The touchpad features a backlight that allows you to easily enter your code in the dark (but you might have some difficulty seeing the keypad clearly when exposed to direct sunlight).
Locking the door behind you is a one-second job. Simply press any button when you leave the house and the door will lock, or you can use an auto-lock option. Either way, this model is very convenient for people who are always in a hurry.
If by any chance, the battery runs out, you can still enter your home using a spare key that comes with this lock. In fact, you get 2 spare keys, just in case.
4. Ultraloq UL3 Fingerprint and Touchscreen Keyless Smart Lever Lock
Ultraloq UL3 smart lock features not only a keypad entry mode but also a fingerprint reader that allows you to enter your facilities much faster and you can grant access to a lot of people since you can program 95 different fingerprints. If you do not feel comfortable with many people accessing your home with just a touch of a finger, you can always program 95 different user codes. The codes can be 4 or 8 digits long.
If none of these options work for you at the given moment, you can always use a key and unlock the door using a specially placed keyhole at the bottom of the lock. The battery allows you to access this model up to 8000 times.
Besides the elegant design, this lock is also very durable and solid, with waterproof and dustproof features.
5. Signstek Digital Security Entry Lock
Although you will probably never have to use it, this is one more lock that comes with a spare mechanical key. If you do get into an emergency and have to use the key to unlock your door, you will need to remove the handle with a wrench to access the hidden keyhole.
This door lock comes with a Touchscreen keypad with a blue backlight, giving it a futuristic and modern look, whether you choose a model with a black or silver finish. You can also change to look of this lock with an interchangeable door handle that can go on both left and right sides.
As for security, this model takes it to next level. It allows you to create an anti-peep password. What that means is that you can create any random digits in front of or behind your real password so you don’t have to worry about anyone seeing the correct code (for example random digits+ right digits +random digits).
The lock also features an unlocked function convenient if you have to step outside for a minute to take out the trash or something similar – you won’t have to re-enter your code.
6. Yale Assure Lock SL, Wi-Fi Smart Lock
Here we have another Yale lock, but this one features a minimalistic design with no cylinder that can be picked by thieves. Instead, you get a simple-looking lock that can be controlled using your Smartphone and the Yale Access App. It works using Connect Wi-Fi Bridge so you do not need any additional hubs, just your home network.
You can lock and unlock the door using this app, but also control who accesses it. The door automatically unlocks when you approach them if you have your phone by your side. If not, you can enter your home using a keypad and an entry code.
This lock works well with Smartphone assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant, so it allows you to use voice commands to control the door, and if you use Alexa it will even warn you when your battery is close to running low.
Since you can choose just how smart you want this lock to be and enable various features, the price can also vary depending on what features you choose.
6. ARDWOLF A30 Keypad Door Lock
This keypad door lock is mainly intended for home and office doors since it is not waterproof. It features three different ways of unlocking. You can use a standard key, unlock it by entering your user code, or simply swipe the card, and if you happen to lose it, no worries, when you purchase this lock you get 2 cards. If your card doesn’t work, you can reset the lock by pressing the reset button and restore the default settings.
The door will automatically lock after 5 seconds when you enter a valid code but it can be set to the passage mode and the door stays unlocked. You can also freeze the lock at the lock or unlock mode and disable all the user codes if needed (temporary, of course).
You can generate up to 200 entry codes, and while we are certain you do not need as much, multiple choices can come in handy if you live with a few people, like in a dorm room for example. The lock also supports up to 200 swipe cards.
As for the design, it comes with a simple modern look and reversible lever that makes it suitable for all doors. The price is also very affordable.
Complete Buying Guide
Security grade defines the level of security a lock provides. It is defined with American National Standard Institute (ANSI), and it has three standard grades: ANSI 1, ANSI 2, and ANSI 3. ANSI Grade 1 provides the most security since it includes the strongest and best-made locks out there. While it can be used for homes, it is most common in a commercial setting. ANSI Grade 2 is also very acceptable and widely used in residential settings. ANSI Grade 3 is the lowest standard of all three and it uses the lowest quality locks, but is also acceptable for homeowners.
We know two of the most common types of locks: button keypads and touch screen keypad locks. Button keypads are easy to use, all you have to do is enter the right code and the system unlocks. This is particularly convenient for children since all they have to do is memorize the digits. The downside is that anyone with the code can enter your house and they can be a little tricky to use during the night if you do not have any light source around.
On the other hand, touch screen keypad locks light up when you touch them, allowing you to clearly see the Numpad, but can be a little difficult to see during the day when exposed to direct sunlight.
There are also keyless options. Take a look at the following infographic to find out which are advantages and disadvantages of owning a keyless door lock:
High-quality keypad door locks can feature a smart-home capability that works using an app you can access with your phone or other devices. They usually work via Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi network. This feature can be very useful and can make door unlocking very easy, all you need to do is to remember to bring your phone, so you don’t stay locked out. Some smart locks can be used with voice commands so that no one but you can unlock your door, so be sure to explore all these options.
Speaking of smart locks, it is good to know what kind of unlocking methods exist. We’ve already mentioned Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but you should also learn about a few more. For example, there is also a biometric method that uses your fingerprint to unlock the door or the RFID method that uses small electronic keycards to access the lock. They work similarly, except with the RFID method you do not use your finger – simply press the keycard near the lock to control it.
Backup Keys and Locks
Most keypad locks include backup keys that you can use if anything goes wrong. Although there are some models that actually do not use keys. Whether you decide on a smart keypad or you choose to get a regular one, it is a good idea to purchase the one that does come with a backup key.
While the main purpose of door locks is to protect you from unwanted visitors, there is always a risk of breaking and entering, even with keypad locks. To prevent that from happening, some locks have protective mechanisms, like alarms that activate when someone enters the wrong code several times. Others feature an automatic shutdown function after a few failed attempts. It is a good thing to have a keypad lock that automatically locks down after the door is closed and some models even detect that the owner has left home and lock.
Can I use a key with a smart lock?
Most smart locks come with a key in case something goes wrong, and they tend to be a bit more expensive. Some models go on the top of the lock system you already own and can be used with the same key.
Can a keyless door lock be hacked?
Keyless locks can be hacked if you do not set up your wireless network properly so anyone can access it. If your keypad lock doesn’t use a wireless network, it cannot be hacked. Keep in mind that all locks can be picked.
Are fingerprint door locks secure?
The level of security with fingerprint locks is certainly high since every individual has a unique fingerprint. They also make your life easier since you don’t have to deal with keys and codes.
As you can see, there really are endless possibilities when it comes to home security. Whether you choose to install a button keypad lock or a smart one, make sure the one you choose meets your standards in terms of access and security but also fits your budget. With all the options out there, we are sure you can find something that suits you.
Before you go, take a look at these models available on Amazon today:
- Keyless entry; unlock your door can be much easier than fumbling with a key when your arms are full of groceries; this keypad lock provides easy key free access to your home using an illuminated,...
- Maximum convenience; give your pet sitter one time access code to your place while you are out of town, or issue up to 20 easy to remember user codes for your guests, especially for kids or the...
- Easy to install and program; no costly locksmith required; with the detailed manual and instructional video, you will be able to install and program this electronic door lock all by yourself; battery...
- Durability and security; durable mechanical and electronic engineered features won’t let you down; you can count on fast unlocking, ip54 weather resistance, long term durability, anti peeping user...
- Style to your home; this digital door lock offers a crisp perspective on brushed silver design with its satin nickel finish and oval shaped feature which would complement any décor style from...
- KEYLESS FREEDOM: The only 2 Keyless Locks in 1. Provides the ability to lock and unlock an interconnected dead-latch (always locked) and a deadbolt with a single lift of the lever from the inside or...
- MAXIMUM SECURITY: Double lock security comes with toughest, most durable lock you can find. Built to commercial grade strength and security, the integration of hyper-strong hardware and advanced...
- BEFORE PURCHASE: You must measure the center to center dimension of your current lockset. This is the distance between the center of the deadbolt to the center of the latch bolt (watch the video here...
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Durable and reliable mechanical and electronic engineered features won’t let you down. You can depend on fast unlocking, weather resistance, long-term durability, multiple user...
- STYLE TO YOUR HOME: Make your lock your own by selecting from these options. Enhance your door décor with a choice of premium finishes - Flat Black, Satin Nickel or Satin Chrome. Important: check if...
- Interior door keyless entry: add up to 6 keypad users for storage doors, closet doors, bedroom doors and more
- Adjustable: Fits left and right handed doors. Bluetooth: not compatible
- Easy programming: simple keypad programming procedure adds or deletes users in seconds
- Direct replacement: no extra work on standard door prep
- Glow in the dark keypad: better visibility in the dark; Min. Door Thickness: 1 1/4 inches, Max Door Thickness: 1 7/8 inches; Meets or exceeds ANSI Grade 3 requirements
- Keyless entry convenience: The SmartCode 917 keyless entry electronic lever allows you to program up to 30 user access codes that can be customized for family, friends, or guests, including optional...
- Reversible door handing: Halifax door lever is reversible and can easily be installed on left-hand or right-hand doors
- Switch between three entry modes: Multiple locking settings include "Auto Lock" (locks after every entry and exit), "Passage" (stays unlocked and no key or code required), and "Disable Passage" (for...
- SmartKey Security protects against advanced break-in techniques and allows you to re-key the lock yourself in seconds
- Up to 3 year battery life and runs on a 9V battery; 9V battery included in box
- No more keys under the mat; this digital door lock is here to make your day-to-day access effortless; enter your home with just a few simple pushes of a button and lock it automatically; no more...
- Pick and bump proof; this keypad deadbolt is 100 percent key free, no keyhole to pick or bump, which nowadays anyone can learn from an online video; no more spare keys that people can lose, misplace...
- Give access to people you trust; program up to 20 user codes and one single-use temporary codes for you to share access with family or guests; no more worry about rushing back home to open the door...
- Add a modern touch to your property; along with rigorously tested construction, this keyless deadbolt also have a sleek modern design which would complement any interior or back door in the...
- Quick and easy installation; replaces existing deadbolt all by yourself with just a screwdriver in minutes; no skills required, no hard wiring needed
- 【Fingerprint Identification】: Smart Lock recognizes your fingerprint in just 0.3 seconds, and unlocks your door in 1 second. It’s faster than fumbling for your keys. (Does NOT support Wi-Fi...
- 【4 Ways to Unlock】: Open in an instant using your fingerprint, unlock via the eufy Security app with Bluetooth, or by using either the electronic keypad or the key.
- 【Automatic Locking】: A built-in sensor detects when your door is closed and locks it automatically, keeping your home secure even when you’re in a hurry.
- 【All-Weather Protection】: With an IP65 weatherproof rating, Smart Lock is ready to protect homes in any location. It’s capable of withstanding temperatures ranging from -30°C/-22°F to...
- 【Protecting Your Privacy】：Stores your fingerprint and in-app data locally—rather than on the cloud—to keep your personal information safe and private.
- Door thickness range: 1 3/8 inch to 2 3/16 inch 35mm-55mm thick.
- OLED DISPLAY + VOICE GUIDE will walk you through the whole process. You can simply use the touchscreen to add or delete user on the device. ✅ Need 4pcs 1.5V AA dry batteries (No include) ....
- ALL-IN-1 FLEXIBILITY, fingerprint +access card(3 include) + code(4~12 digit) + backup key + double verification to unlock. Up to 300 users max and allow owner to track entry record.
- NEW 3D FINGERPRINT SENSOR bring you a fast & best secure fingerprint recognition system. Accuracy up to 99.86%. Works perfect for kids and the elder.
- DEADBOLT BUTTON can only allow admin users to access. This function can increase your privacy level significantly.