Whether you plan to shape stylish molding, make perfect edges or carve out clean rabbets, you need the right tool to finish the task. Some woodworkers consider the router to be a multipurpose power tool. But what do we have in offer? Let’s check our top Compact and Trim Routers for Woodworkers.
Our Top Picks
1. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
This Compact Router looks like a wise choice from the start. The RT0701C has a powerful 1-1/4 HP (maximum horsepower) motor with a variable speed control dial (10,000-30,000 RPM) that enables the user to match the speed to the application. We are talking about a heavy-duty aluminum motor housing engineered for increased durability. The smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings is a plus on its own. A slim and ergonomically designed body will perfectly fit in your hand. Comfort and control are guaranteed.
It has a quick-release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation. Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load while the soft start feature is there for smooth start-ups. Fixed base accepts industry standard template guides for convenience. Notice high visibility base design for improved handling and performance (base can be removed quickly to install other bases). The RT0701C uses ¼” shank router bits. This fine machine may just be the next thing on your to-buy list!
2. Bosch Tool, Colt 1-Horsepower 5.6 Amp Electronic Variable-Speed Palm Router PR20EVS
The next pick on our list is Bosch Router Tool. This variable-speed palm-grip router puts routing power and precision in the palm of your hand. It features a 1.0 HorsePower 5.6 amp variable-speed motor with speeds from 16,000 to 35,000 rpm. The PR20EVS has an ergonomic palm-grip design with a soft grip to make it very comfortable to hold, yet it also has ample power, making it typically easier to use than larger routers. Provides a straight edge guide to lead router along edges of workpiece or up to 3-5/8 inch from the edge; The wood router also features an angled cord exit to keep the cord out of the way when using the machine.
It’s more than just a laminate trimmer, as it is the ideal tool for putting round overs on deck railings, mortising for hinges, slot cutting, and much more. The motor features a soft-start, a variable-speed control, and Constant Response circuitry to maintain speed under load. The PR001 fixed base features macro- and micro-fine depth adjustment while the quick-clamp system allows the motor to be easily adjusted or moved from base to base. The PR20EVSK also includes a self-releasing 1/4 In. collet chuck, comfortable forged bit-changing wrenches, edge guide. You will not make a mistake with this model!
3. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Cordless Router, Brushless, Tool Only
Let’s take a look at this DEWALT product. The 20V max XR Cordless compact router provides power like a corded compact router while providing the convenience of a cordless tool. Soft start motor with full-time electronic feedback allows the motor to maintain speed during cuts. Electronic brake slows the motor down faster after the unit is shut off; Speed 16,000 to 25,500 rpm.
Depth adjustment ring allows for fast and easy height adjustments. The plastic fixed base and dual LED lights help to illuminate the work surface and provide superior bit visibility. This cordless router is equipped with variable speed control for optimal bit speed in each application. The release clamp allows for quick and easy bit and base change. All in all, it’s a fine tool that will do the job efficiently!
4. Avid Power 6.5-Amp 1.25 HP Compact Router with Fixed Base and 5 Trim Bits
Now, let’s look at Avid Power 6.5-Amp 1.25 HP Compact Router. Ergonomic Design & Convenience are the main traits of this model. There is a rubber-covered handle for a comfortable grip and a quick locking system for convenient depth adjustments and base change. A powerful motor at 6.5-Amp with the max horsepower of 1.25 delivers abundant power for a variety of routing and trimming applications. The variable speed control dial (10000-32000 RPM) allows users to choose a more appropriate speed for different materials.
A smooth rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system ensures precise operation for a range of cabinetry and woodworking applications; Dual bright LED lights illuminates dark working areas. The aluminum body and base guarantee durability; the Dust hood removes dust to leave a clean workspace. In the set, you get a 1.25 HP compact router tool with 12.1Ft/3.7m cord, 5 router bits, an edge guide, roller guide, dust hood, 3/8” and 1/4” collet, wrench, and tool bag. Hurry up before this model is out of stock!
5. Laminate Trimmer, 1/4 In
This 1/4″ laminate trimmer model excels at fast, smooth, and accurate trimming applications. The 4.0 AMP motor delivers 30,000 RPM to the workpiece. We talk about all ball-bearing construction that ensures durability and smooth performance. Slim design with rubberized grip is there for comfort and precision. The smooth rack and pinion provide fine depth adjustment. The transparent base provides a clear view of the trimming edge and the top-mounted electrical cord stays out of the way for safer and easier operation. This fine machine is compact and lightweight ( only 3.3 lbs ) We see an efficient and durable tool, exactly what you need to finish your projects!
Check out also: Best Sanders For Wood Floors
6. DEWALT Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, Variable Speed, 1.25-HP Max Torque
We have another DEWALT product that will interest you. The DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit with LED’s has a 1.25 HP motor to deliver power for the toughest applications. Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications. No Load Speed range 16,000-27,000rpm. Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut.
The motor can be transitioned quickly and easily between fixed and plunge bases. Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch (fixed base only). Allows up to 1.5″ of depth travel with standard base & 2″ with the plunge base. Dual LED’s and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation while over-molded rubber handles provide a comfortable and secure grip (plunge base only). Aluminum motor housing and base construction provide long-term durability. And durability is what we count on when we buy a tool for woodworking.
7. CtopoGo Compact Wood Palm Router Tool Hand Trimmer WoodWorking Joiner Cutting Palmming Tool
Premium quality is guaranteed with this model. CtopoGo Compact Wood Palm Router is made with high-quality aluminum and plastic which is durable to use. This electric trimmer is widely used in handicraft production, plastic sheeting, wood processing, cabinet processing, wood veneer, and other similar materials chamfering, grooving, surface finishing, etc. Its main feature is simple usage. A transparent cover controls the flying sawdust. A transparent base design is great for accuracy. The set includes accessories, such as a Straight Guide, Trimming Guide, Wrenches, Dust Board, Sample Guide Plate, Adjustable Button, Fast Switch Button, and more. With this machine, the cutting is exact, and the curve processing is fine. This machine guarantees a long service life.
Read Also: Best Saw For Cutting Shapes Out Of Wood
8. Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP Combination Plunge and Fixed-Base Router
Another Bosch machine on our list of top picks! The Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP Combination Plunge- and Fixed-Base Router has the power to help you finish your job effortlessly. You can’t make a mistake with this model. A machine with a 12 Amp motor and adjustable speed settings will glide over the woodwork. The variable-speed dial allows the operator to set the optimal speed. The router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, resulting in a clean, accurate product. The plunge base features smooth plunge action. Users can glide along the intended cutline using dovetail fixtures, jigs, templates, and other guidance devices.
The Bosch Precision Centering Design allows the bit to be centered with the sub-base or optional template guides. You know you get durability with a Bosch product – aluminum construction makes this one of the most durable wood routers. Wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft-grip handle on a plunge base are extra stylish and comfortable additions to this design. Virtual Bundle Includes 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP Combination Plunge- and Fixed-Base Router and RBS010 10 Piece Router Bit Set. Hurry up and get one for yourself before this model is sold out!
Routers are available in several motor size configurations. All have certain advantages and disadvantages. Also, there are certain factors you need to have in mind when buying this tool.
You get an impressive machine in a compact size with excellent performance. They are ideal for slot cutting, trimming, hinge mortising, window cutouts, decorative inlays, edge forming, etc. Palm routers use only 1/4″ shank router bits, so they are not adequate for larger projects.
Mid-sized routers can perform a variety of operations. We are talking about everything that Palm Routers can do plus panel cutting, large-scale dovetailing, template design work, and circle cutting. These routers will accept 1/4″ shank as well as 1/2″ shank bits and are often available with multiple bases.
These are designed for production use. Due to their huge size, they can be somewhat troublesome to use in everyday operations.
It should be within your thumb reach. It seems like a minor detail, but it can become an extremely important factor while you work.
Routers can use ¼ inch or ½ inch diameter bits. If you can get one that accepts both ¼ inch and ½ inch bits, you are set.
Buy routers with a motor rating of 2 HP or more. More power will help to push larger bits through the stock.
If the design is not good and it does not fit in your hand properly, it will slow down your work. Comfort is everything when you work long hours.
Prioritize variable speed routers. Those with single speed are mostly good when working with small bits.
A dust collection system will save you from the massive amount of dust that is created in the process of woodworking.
Can I use a trim bit instead of a pattern bit, or do I need to purchase both?
You can use a trim bit for making patterns.
How do I know what direction my router bit is spinning?
When you are holding the router and looking down at the top, the bit will be spinning clockwise. If it does not already exist, draw a black arrow on the base of your router in the direction the router bit spins.
When routing wood, what side of the wood should I be on?
So if you are hand routing wood, and the router is on the near side of your workpiece, you will want to travel from left to right.
What is the difference between 1 1/4hp and 2 1/4 hp?
The 2 1/4 is more powerful and bigger in size.
How deep can the router plunge?
The plunge base allows plunge adjustment anywhere between 0 and 35 mm. This is equivalent to a depth of just over 1.3 inches.
What is the radius from the center of the bit to the outside of the guard?
It depends on which base is attached to the router. Using the standard trimmer base, the radius is 1 3/4 inches.
Can you mount this machine to a router table?
If it’s a trim router, it wouldn’t be the proper use, even though it’s possible.
Whether you’re a professional or somebody who wants to finish a DIY project, you are aware that the high-quality result requires investment. Routers are extremely versatile and all you need to do is choose the right model for your needs. Contemplate your goals and what you want to achieve and then choose the right design for you from our top picks. You won’t make a mistake with one of these power tools.
Here are some other interesting models for you to check out:
- Ease of use: Revolutionary new woodworking depth adjustment system for easy and precise depth adjustment
- Power: Featuring a 1.25-Hp, 7.0 amp motor for compact versatility with speeds of 16,000-35,000 RPM
- Convenience: Wide-bit capacity - fixed base accepts bits up to 1-5/16-in wide
- Consistency: Constant response circuitry - monitors and maintains speed under load for consistent performance - provides overload protection and soft start for reduced start-up torque
- Comfort: Palm-grip design with soft grip and finger support pockets - provides exceptional comfort and control
- Round and Square Bases - for added versatility and convenience
- Easy Access Micro Adjust Dial – for precise depth control
- Flat Top – router sits upside down for easier bit changes
- No Mar Top – Overmold on top of router prevents marring of work surface
- Quick Release Lever – allows for easy removal of motor from base
- 【Powerful Motor】6.5-Amp motor with max horsepower of 1.25 delivers abundant power for a variety of routing and trimming applications; The speed (30000 RPM) will provide enough power to finish the...
- 【Easy to Operate】The compact router kit can applicate under normal ambient conditions, equipped with the right rotary. Transparent cover to control the flying sawdust. And it will allow you to...
- 【Rich Accessories】Include several accessories, such as wrenches, chucks, template guide adapter, sub-base plate, and more. The Trimming guide, roller running along the curve, ensuring cutting is...
- 【Wide Application】This wood compact router is widely used in wood processing, cabinet processing, handicraft production, wood veneer, and other similar materials chamfering, grooving, surface...
- 【What You Will Get】15 pieces 1/4" shank router bits set(Bonus Gift!), 1x 110V compact router, 10 x sandpapers, 1 x 1/4" to 1/2 " router collet, 1 x straight guide, 1 x guide plate, 1 x trimming...
- POWERSTATE BRUSHLESS MOTOR: Power of corded compact routers and higher SPM to complete cuts in hardwoods
- PERFORMANCE: Redlink Plus intelligence ensures maximum performance and protects from overloads, heating and over-discharge. Variable speed dial ranges between 10,000 and 31,000 rpm, providing precise...
- ADJUSTMENTS: Macro Adjust button allows for fast macro-adjustments and 1.5-inch of adjustable range. Fine adjustment screw allows for precise adjustments beyond 1/64-inch increments
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with Milwaukee Plunge base and Offset base attachments (sold separately)
- Heavy Duty yet compact
- Rack and pinion height adjustment
- Compact, Easy to Operate
- 1/4" Collet
- Flush trimming attachment, edge guide Included
- [Efficient and convenient] This Woodworking Trimmer adopts an all-copper motor, which can maintain high temperature and generate less heat. The body is ergonomic and comfortable to hold, making people...
- [The base is transparent and adjustable] Electric Router has a transparent base, which can be clearly seen on the trimming edge, and the cutting track can be clearly observed to ensure precise...
- [Flexible operation] The smooth gear adopts a fine-tuning depth system, which can cut various trimming shapes. This Electric cutter will not deform when cutting thicker models, and there is no need to...
- [Powerful power] The all-copper motor with no-load speed of 30,000 rpm can provide powerful power to meet the most difficult woodworking applications. Provide consumers with a more efficient tool.
- [Widely applicable] This Woodworking Trimmer is suitable for home decoration and woodworking. Such as trimming, deburring, grooving, grooving, carving, etc. You will use it in many places, wooden...
- Versatile: This versatile kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and dovetail cutting; Making it one of the...
- Durability: Aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a plunge base
- Ease of use: Rounded hardwood handles maximize user control
- Convenient: With the built in constant response circuitry, our 1617EVSPK wood router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get cleaner, more accurate results
- Kit contents: Includes a plunge base, fixed base, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collet chucks, shaft wrench, collet nut wrench, chip shields and carrying case
- 31,000 RPM, 4.5 amp motor
- Precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base
- Extra large locking clips allow for a quick motor release and/or course depth adjustment
- Depth ring enables quick and accurate bit height adjustments
- 31,000 RPM, 4.5 amp motor